Village of Macedon
Municipal Office Information:
Address: 81 Main Street
Macedon, NY 14502
Telephone: (315) 986-3976 Fax: (315) 986-3444
Stormwater Management Program Coordinator:
Engineer Ph: (585) 334-3355
Ph: (315) 986-3976
Population: (2000) – 1,496
Area: 1.2 Square Miles
Village of Macedon, located in southwestern Wayne County, was settled in 1789 and incorporated as a village in 1856. The Liberty League, the “uncompromising” faction of the abolitionist Liberty Party, selected Gerrit Smith as its presidential candidate at a convention in Macedon in 1847. Bickford & Huffman developed a grain mill in 1849 that was popular among southern farmers until the time of the Civil War. Howard & Richard Samuels founded the Kordite Company in Macedon in 1946 which revolutionized the packaging industry through the use of plastic bags. The Village of Macedon is located on the historic Erie Canal and features an operating lock—Lock #30 of the Barge Canal System.
Stormwater Management Activities:
- Village of Macedon has mapped all of its storm drain outfalls.
- All construction site plans are reviewed during the approval process by the Zoning Department and Village Engineer for erosion and sediment control practices.
- The Village Engineer inspects construction sites and enforces compliance issues.
- Village staff regularly attends training sessions provided by the Ontario-Wayne Stormwater Coalition or at New York State training events to ensure they are current with Stormwater Phase II regulations